There are many benefits to aromatherapy, but how you apply the essential oils will have a huge impact on their healing effectiveness. Let’s explore the proper way to apply essential oils.
Essential oils are highly concentrated and therefore it is not recommended to apply them in their pure form directly to the skin. Using a small amount of oil diluted in water will provide better results.
Aromatherapy can be achieved by several different methods. Knowing how to properly use essential oils in different applications will lead to greater benefits.
• Baths – adding aromatherapy oils to your bath water is an easy way to achieving their health benefits. By simply adding a few drops to the bathwater and blending before you submerge yourself, the aroma will trigger your olfactory senses. This is turn will help to increase your circulation and bring help to bring out physical harmony.
• Lotions/Creams/Salves – by adding a few drops of fragrant oil to your favorite lotions, for example cocoa butter or shea butter will stimulate healing properties. To create your own fragrant blend, apply to any unscented lotion.
• Aromatherapy Vapor Inhalation – this is the foundation of aromatherapy treatments. Steam inhalation is a great way to alleviate sinus or respiratory issues. Add five drops of aromatic oil to steaming water and inhale the aroma using a towel tent; this will keep the aroma from escaping.
• Aromatherapy Massage – this is one of the most popular methods of aromatherapy. By blending drops of fragrant oil with your favorite lotion (e.g. almond, cocoa butter or shea butter) can affect the body both psychologically and physiologically depending on which essential oil you use. To energize the senses, peppermint is great whereas lavender is more of a relaxing scent. Essential oils used during massage trigger the olfactory senses. Some oils may also be absorbed into the skin and the blood stream to produce healing effects.
• Compress – by adding a few drops of your preferred oil into a bowl of warm water, immerse a washcloth into the blend and wring out. Use the washcloth as a compress by applying to the area of the body that needs pain relief. Warm essential oil compresses are great for sore muscles, forehead and stomach pains and menstrual cramps.
• Dishwater/Clothes Washer/Dryers – the anti-bacterial properties of essential oils can dramatically promote greater hygiene. By adding a few drops of lemon to your dishwater will clean the dishes and makes the kitchen smell great. Use Purification essential oil in the laundry to kill bacteria and germs found in clothes. The same can be done for the dryer by applying the oil to a wet towel or from a mist spray bottle directly into the dryer.
• Cleaning/Disinfecting – apply a few drops of lemon, spruce, or fir oil on a dust cloth or ten drops in water in a spray bottle to polish furniture and to clean and disinfect kitchens and bathrooms.
These simple tips of the proper way to use aromatherapy essential oils can lead to a more relaxing and healthier lifestyle. At Perfume Aromas, you will find a nice selection of aromatherapy products. Visit our website today!